Health Effects of Exposure to Black Mold

black mold removalMold is a dangerous toxin that can have a negative impact on your home and health. Particularly, black mold can be hazardous to health and prompts an immediate call to mold removal experts. It feeds on organic materials like moisture-exposed carpeting, drywall and insulation then releases spores into the air. These spores can be inhaled or ingested, which in turn, causes various health problems. Black mold is most likely to appear in crawlspaces and basements, but the spores can travel or be circulated through ductwork and the HVAC system. The health problems caused by these spores, include asthma, allergic reactions and more. Understanding the health issues associated with this toxin can help you protect your family.

Asthma and Other Respiratory Issues

Black mold can both exacerbate and cause asthma. Inhaled mold spores can become embedded in the lungs and airways, cause irritation and inflammation and worsen asthma symptoms. Spores can also cause other respiratory issues, such as coughing, wheezing, upper respiratory tract infections and hypersensitivity pneumonitis (an uncommon immunologic condition, akin to pneumonia). It can also cause asthma attacks in individuals who already have the condition.

Allergic Reactions

Allergic reactions are the greatest health risk of black mold exposure, because they’re the most common health risk. Spores and developing mold can both lead to allergic reactions. Symptoms can develop immediately or months after mold exposure. The most common symptoms include:

  • Wheezing
  • Sneezing
  • Coughing
  • Watery eyes
  • Runny nose
  • Eye irritation, itchiness and redness
  • Rash and/or skin irritation

The severity of the allergic reaction will depend on the person’s susceptibility to mold and the type of mold they’re exposed to. Since black mold is the most toxic, it’s more likely to cause adverse reactions.

Other Health Problems

Black mold can cause a host of health issues, even in people who aren’t susceptible to allergies. It produces mycotoxins that can cause skin irritation, respiratory issues, fever and more. In people with comprised immune systems or lung disease, it can cause severe lung infections. Prolonged exposure can also cause bleeding in the nose and lungs, nausea, vomiting, headaches, mucous membranes of the nose mouth and throat and chronic fatigue. Severe symptoms, such as bleeding on the lungs can be a sign of extensive exposure and a severe black mold infestation.

If you suspect you have black mold, don’t delay. Call a professional like Brothers in Grime for immediate mold removal.

Leave a Reply